How to Keep Fruits Fresher for Longer in the Fridge
There is nothing more frustrating than buying fresh fruits and store them in the refrigerator only to find them a few weeks later looking shriveled and rotten.
To avoid throwing away fruits and money, it’s important to know where to store fruits and which food to keep separate from each other. You need to keep in mind that some fruits give off ethylene gas, which makes other fruits rot faster.
It’s a good idea to order your fruits and vegetables with your online groceries, this way they will be delivered to you, fresh at your doorstep. Once your grocery delivery is here, you need to check and make sure the fruits have not cuts, bruises, insect holes, mold or decay; but remember they don’t need to be “perfect” to taste wonderful. All shapes and sizes make great fruits.
Consider that one of the benefits of fresh fruit delivery in Malaysia with Redtick is that you can always send your product back to the store if they are not as you want. So check out your fruits before you store them.
Now that you have your fruits, it’s time to place them in your fridge. Here are some great tips to keep them fresh for longer.
General Storage Tips
- Some fruits can be stored in the refrigerator at 5°Celcius or below or on the counter. If you purchased pre-cut or peeled fruit, refrigerate them.
- When you store fruit in the fridge, it is a good idea to use a breathable bag because they absorb moisture and air. If you use sealed bags, fruits rot quicker.
- Watch out for cold-sensitive fruits, such as avocados, bananas, citrus fruits, berries, peaches, and nectarines. Leave these fruits out of the fridge, they are best kept on the counter. You can store them in the fridge once ripe to lengthen shelf life. But store them separately to keep them from ripening too quickly.
- Certain fruits and vegetables release ethylene, which speeds the rotten process. These fruits, which are apples, apricots, cantaloupe, and honeydew, need to be stored separate from greens. The ethylene they emit will ruin your salad.
- If you wash your fruits, which is a good idea to doso, you need to dry them well. If you toss your fruit in the fridge while damp they will become soggy. After washing and rinsing, pat dry, wrap them in paper towel, and store them in an open container in the fridge.
- Grapes are very sensitive to moisture so put them on a paper towel. You should always remove grapes from the bag or container they came with. Wash and gently pat dry. Once they are dry, place them on a paper towel in an open container before storing them in the fridge.
- Mushrooms are best stored in a sealed container. Don’t wash them.
- To prolong the life of bananas, separate them. This will slow the ripening process.
- Berries don’t like moisture, so you should remove them from containers. Gently wash and pat dry, and place in a single layer on a paper towel in an open container, inside the fridge.
- Citrus fruits are better stored at room temperature, just let them hang out on the counter to resist mold growth.
- If you wash, dry, and cut your fruits all at once, it’s better to store them in covered glass containers with paper towels inside. Using glass containers will let you see them, which reminds you to eat them, besides keeping moisture out.
- Buy fruits online in Malaysia frequently, this way you only get what you need. Also, it’s a good idea to plan out your meals ahead of time to buy only what you need and what you will eat.
- When you notice any rotten fruit, throw it immediately before it starts to spoil the rest.
It’s easy to keep your fruits fresher for longer if you know what to do.
Simply follow these simple tips every time you buy your fruits online and you will be enjoying fresh products for a long time.
Happy shopping! Enjoy your fruits.